BDB started out the 2014 brew season on a chilly March 29th morning. Temp at 7am was 28 degrees. As the day went along, the weather ended up being perfect. A sunny day in the mid 50’s was something to behold after the winter we’ve just experienced. We couldn’t help but be excited to brew beer.
Zombie Dog and the BDB Brown Ale were the brews of choice for the day. Both cycles went off without a hitch! For a change, we were prepared and ready. We’re still working through a few kinks with the Beersmith software, but we’re getting better.
Matt Collins provided grill master duties and made up some amazing ribs for the end of the day.
We finished out the day with some amazing ribs and two brews that hit our numbers.
Early Morning Start
BDB was back at it again with another brew day. This time we were brewing an amber and hefeweizen.
Another early morning at BDB. Jamie, Nate, and myself were ready to go at 7 AM with temps in the mid 40’s with a full day of sun.
We brewed Zippy’s Red Ale first which we intend to use as one of our “year round” beers. The brew went as planned and we hit our mash temp on the nose which was something we struggled with while brewing Daisy’s Pale a few weeks ago. The mash out and 75 minute boil all went as planned and all of us were happy with the process.
Next up on the docket was Haley’s Hefeweizen. With 3 people brewing today we were getting things done a lot quicker than we normally would and this led to some timing issues. We mashed in early with the hefe which probably would have been fine but the amber had a 75 minute boil thus leading to a ~85 min mash. The good news was the temps held close to 152° which what our optimal mash temp was so I thought we would have great efficiency…. but we thought we sparged with to much water when the pre-boil gravity was 1.026. The post boil OG came in at 1.038 which was pretty close to what Beersmith estimated so we either misread the pre-boil gravity (which was unlikely as we read it with a hydrometer and refractometer) or we had a lot of boil off. The rest of the brew went as planned.
We aerated all the wort with O2 and pitched the yeast in to both beers and stuck them in the ferm chamber. All in all it was a really good brew day…..OK every brew day is a great day.
BDB fired up again on 03.23.2013, this time it was to begin work on BDB’s year round pale ale (name T.B.D). With the pale we are trying to achieve a malt forward lingering string hop finish session beer.
This brew day consisted of 2 separate batches, same grain bill and hop additions but 2 different types if water. One batch was made with RO water from a local water treatment plant and the other was Jamie’s tap water filtered twice though carbon, you can see the grain bill and hops used at the end of this post.
A chilly morning with temps hovering around 36˚ and finally topping out at 45˚ later in the afternoon. Your fearless brewers for these batches would be myself and Jamie M. with Matt C. helping out with the worse part of any brew day…..clean-up.
Water was heated at 8am and we mashed in around 8:30am with the first batch using the RO water. We were shooting for a mash temp of 153˚ but missed high with the temp. sticking around 160˚. Mash out, the boil, and cooling all went as planned.
The second batch was started around 10:15am. We utilized tap water ran through a double carbon filter. We are again were shooting for a mash temp of 153˚ but missed high again with the temps coming in around 165˚, as with the first batch mash out, the boil and cooling all went to plan. We pitched the yeast for both batches then stuck them in the fermentation chamber and started cleanup.
Over all the brew day was a success; we learned that we need to recalibrate the sight glass on the kettles & calculate the strike water temp. better.
||% of bill
We’re working on our new web site as we continue to brew great beer one small batch at a time. Come back often as we add content to our site and thanks for visiting!